What can I do?

What can I do?

If you need help straight away, always call the Police

Get in touch with our Children’s Workers – we have special people at DWA that you can talk to about what’s been happening to you or someone you’re worried about. They will listen to you and understand how you might be feeling. They can come and talk to you at school or somewhere else that’s safe for you. You can get in touch by

  • Calling our help advice line
  • Send us an email

When you get in touch with us it’s important that you tell us

  • Your name – this doesn’t have to be your real name.
  • How we can get in touch with you without the person you’re frightened of finding out – a phone number or email address where it’s safe to reply to you. This doesn’t have to be your home, it can be your school for example, but you will need to tell the person whose telephone number or email address it is that someone from DWA will be contacting them and what name you have given if you didn’t leave your real name.)
  • When it’s safe for us to contact you.

Our Children’s Workers will call you back within 2 days.  If you call us on a Friday, it will be Monday before we can reply to you.

Call the police – If you need help straight away you should dial 999 and ask for the police. You’ll need to give your name, address and telephone number and tell the police what is happening. Don’t hang up because the police will call back to make sure the call is genuine and this could give your dad, step-dad or mum’s boyfriend the chance to tell them everything is okay and the call was a mistake. It is better to leave the phone off the hook so they can hear what is going on.

Tell someone what’s happening – talking to someone like a teacher, doctor or another adult you trust can be a good idea. They will want to make sure that you and your mum are safe so they might want to talk to your mum too. If they are worried that you might get hurt they may have to tell someone else. They should always tell you what they are doing and who they are planning to talk to.

Call Childline or the NSPCC – If you are not in danger and can talk safely you can call Childline (0800 1111) or the NSPCC (0808 800 5000). You don’t have to tell them your name and the calls are free. They will listen to you, talk to you about what is happening and help you decide what you want to do next.