There are many types of abuse, abusers believe they have a right to control their partners in the abusive relationships by utilising the tactics found in the power and control wheel, by:
- Telling them what to do and expecting obedience
- Using force to maintain power and control over partners
- Feeling their partners have no right to challenge their desire for power and control
- Feeling justified making the victim comply
- Blaming the abuse on the partner and not accepting responsibility for wrongful acts.
The characteristics shown in the power and control wheel are examples of how this power and control are demonstrated and enacted against the victim